Search This Blog

Monday, October 29, 2012

Archery is fun!

Archery was just as fun as I had dreamed it would be! And more!

A and I attended our Couples Archery class on Friday night at the Archery Bow Range Chicago. (Do not be afraid of Humboldt Park. It is not as scary as you think it is.) We had a lovely little fight on the way there because I hate being late and he doesn't, among other topics of discord. But we made it. I have to say, it was the first date we have been on that we had to sign a waiver for. I will make a prediction: It won't be the last.
I am signing a waiver. #1rule: don't shoot anyone.
There were seven couples at the class. I was surprised at how popular it was! But never again will I underestimate the huge drawing power of archery. What I loved about it was there was very little verbal instruction. You just started shooting after about 2.3 minutes of explanation. The hardest thing was figuring out if you were righty or lefty. (Hint: it isn't about your hands! It is about your eyes.)

Both A and I are left. A is truly ambidextrous. His brain gets all confused about right/left stuff so it takes him a little longer to catch on. Here is a video of A shooting. We both did well but I have a little Katniss gene I think.
This was my 5th turn shooting. 
We both got HUGE archery hickey/bruises on our right inner arms from the string hitting. Mine isn't as bad as A's. He has sensitive skin.
Archery makes such a badass sound. THWACK when the arrow slams into the target. The soft whizzing of the arrows in the air. The group we were with was pretty quiet too. The lady standing next to me was having a little trouble and kept almost hitting me in the eye with her bow. The bows were cool. They were composite and A and I shared a yellow one, which made our transition each turn easier. We are totally signing up for the next level, which I believe is Adult Training (I should offer some marketing services in exchange for lessons. Bad name.) A had such a good time, he is totally on board with more archery and with going to a gun shooting range soon.

I don't think I can hit a squirrel through the eye yet, but I am well on my way to learning this important apocalypse skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment