Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Cabin in the Woods, Actually Apocalypse Movie!

I heart me some Joss Whedon. I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of even thinking about the whole "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel" and "Firefly" apocalypse preparedness stuff. But I will! Don't worry. But, I am not a fan of horror movies (see sensitive viewer issues). Seriously, when I was a kid, a creepy episode of Scooby-Doo freaked me out and I didn't sleep for several days. I had to leave the theater and have hysterics in the bathroom when I saw Scream for the first time. No. Horror. Movies.

But, I love Joss, so the cunundrum of Cabin in the Woods presented itself. Joss Whedon = +. Horror movie= -. Supposed to be funny= +. Supposed to be scary= -. Chris Hemsworth= +, etc.

A compromise was struck between me and A, and we watched it on On Demand so I could get up and leave if I felt oogey. Totally unnecessary! Either I am not such a sensitive viewer anymore and the anti-anxiety meds are working, or it wasn't that scary. It was a little scary and smart and funny and Chris Hemsworth, etc. And, as a bonus, and hopefully not giving anything away, it is an apocalypse movie. Unfortunately it isn't the kind of apocalypse you can really prep for and A argues that it doesn't count anyway, but it is a theme that comes up in Whedon's work and I was happy to see the thread continuing. I guess it is mostly a zombie movie, but not really.  I recommend it! Go see it! We can discuss.

Here is what you can learn: be smart, cardio, follow your instincts

Here is a photo of Chris Hemsworth:

No comments:

Post a Comment