Search This Blog

Thursday, October 25, 2012

B and E

I wanted to learn how to pick locks. It seemed like a good skills for the apocalypse. But then my imminently sensible boyfriend asked why I didn't just learn how to break down doors. This actually makes a lot more sense. I applaud this logic.

But before this break through, I was talking to my mom about the whole thing. She was a social worker for 40 years and she knows amazing things. Things that would blow your mind. So, when I told her I wanted to get some lock-picking tools, she told me that if you are stopped by the police in Illinois with tools for breaking and entering, they consider that probable cause (we aren't lawyers, don't over think it) and will arrest you. Wow! I had no idea. That seems very unfair, considering you can pick a lock (a bad lock) with a credit card. Being me, this really makes me want to get some lock-picking tools. I am not who the police are looking for. Ever. I could make a very convincing case for needing the tools for this blog. I really just don't like that I can't learn a skill and use my discretion in how to use it. Perhaps that seems naive. It does. I know. But knowing how to hot wire a car would be a great skill and I wouldn't use it to steal a car, but rather to save my life post-apocalypse. I am adding that skill to my list. I wonder if my mechanic would show me how? Hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment